I have to admit, I was skeptical about the Aphlex's when I first tried them on - it felt like I was wearing a hightop sneaker instead of a hiking boot! I was worried they wouldn't be supportive enough to trek with, the tread wasn't going to be deep enough and that they just generally wouldn't keep up with me....but after spending over a month wearing them exclusively, I love everything about them!
- Molded EVA midsole with dual density compression
- KEEN.DRY ™ is the best waterproof breathable membrane
- Mesh and synthetic upper is very lightweight
- Molded heel and toe protection - KEEN's specialty!
- Multi directional, 3mm lugs
- Non-marking rubber outsole
- KEEN S3 design is engineered to support the foot on impact, dissipate shock and reduce the odds of twisting an ankle.
- Cool colours
- Metal lace loops and hooks for lasting durability
- Removable and stink treated insoles
In a nutshell, I would say these boots fit a 1/2 size too big. I ordered a 8.5 (which is the size of my Gypsum mid's and Keen winter boots) and there was way too much space past my toes. My toes were not lining up with the point of the boot where it bends, so I ordered an 8. The length was better but now I was feeling the narrow cut of the toe box. Again I was feeling really unsure of this boot...
Travelling to Iceland, I decided to wear them on the plane to start softening them up and after 2 flights and a 10 hour layover, I had hot spots on my right foot's big toe:( More skepticism ensued but after 4 days walking around Reykjavik, glacier hiking and sightseeing in them, they relaxed! Now they were perfect.
The Aphlex hugs your foot like a good hiking boots should while it's weight and style, make you feel like your wearin' hightops!
The Keen Aphlex is lightweight, water-impenetrable, and up for anything! These funky boots and I spent a month trekking, horse riding, and sightseeing our way through Iceland. All the while they were keeping me warm, dry, comfortable and in style.
I will definitly be taking the Keen Aphlex on my next travel adventure because this hiking boot has it all; functionality in a sleek, lightweight package!
I totally recommend these boots to anyone who travels a lot and/or leads an active lifestyle and needs lightweight, reliable footwear.