For fall and winter Merrell has made the Capra’s with a waterproof leather upper, removed the Exoskeleton and made them in new fun colours.
- Vibram soles! They have 3.5mm lugs, which give me great traction in mud or snow and are stiff enough to provide the stability needed on the rough and rugged Newfoundland terrain. And the slip resistance is incomparable to any other boot.
- The contoured footbed and heel air cushion are super comfy underfoot. I have worn these boots all day for multiple days, and never had that foot soreness that come from standing all day.
- The flat laces, metal eyelets and hooks which ensure the Capra’s stay snug, which helps a lot when your climbing up and down hill for hours.
Many of my hikes take me through muddy or boggy sections, and with the Capra’s, my feet are almost always dry or just slightly damp but still very warm and comfortable. Then, once home, with the insoles pulled out, they are dry overnight and ready to go again.
I like that this boot isn’t as stiff as the Sport Gore-Tex Hikers, they didn’t take any time to soften up.
The top of the boot is made of neoprene and mesh and I find this allows the boot to hug your lower calf and also helps to keep out debris. The neoprene mesh combo is very soft and malleable and never chafed.
Fit & Sizing Notes
- This being my second time testing the Merrell Capra’s I was able to ensure I got the correct size (an 8 this time), but I would still say they fit a half size large as I would usually wear an 8.5.
- I find the Capra’s fit narrow and the toe box is where I feel this the most.
- Although the heel is padded and well shaped, this design doesn’t quite match my heels and I get regular blisters in these boots.
All in all, I like these boots for many reasons and would recommend them highly to folks looking for a fall hiker that will take you right into the snowshoe season.
Have you hiked in Merrell’s? What did you think?
Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Affiliate Links: Some of the links the post above are “affiliate links”. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive and affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. This disclosure is provided in accordance to the FTC’s “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Review: I received the product in the post above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. This disclosure is provided in accordance to the FTC’s “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”